Strawberry & Basil Ice Cream
Prep Time 12 hr
Cook Time 10 min
- 1 ½ cups freeze-dried strawberries
- ¾ cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups Jilbert Dairy heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup Jilbert Dairy milk
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
(makes 2 quarts)
- Follow ice cream maker directions to prepare to freeze ice cream.
- Place 1 cup freeze-dried strawberries in food processor or blender. Process until forms very fine particles or dust.
- In 2-quart saucepan whisk together strawberry dust, sugar, egg yolks and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved.
- Whisk in cream and milk until combined. Stir in ¼ cup basil leaves. Continue cooking, stir occasionally, until mixture just comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; cool at room temperature 1 hour.
- Strain mixture through a metal sieve into a large bowl. Cover with plastic food wrap; refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Freeze mixture in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Once frozen, crush remaining ½ cup freeze-dried strawberries. Stir crushed strawberries and ¼ cup thinly sliced basil leaves into ice cream.
- Transfer to freezer-safe dish; cover. Freeze 4 hours before serving.
Recipe and image provided by Half & Half magazine.